Standing on the banks of the River Calder, Whalley Abbey has been a focal point for hospitality since the 14th Century. It began as a community of Cistercian monks. The ruins that still stand in the grounds today result from the dissolution of the Monastery in 1537, when the property passed into private hands and was developed as an Elizabethan Manor House. In 1923, the Church of England acquired possession and it has belonged to the diocese of Blackburn since 1926 and the present day Retreat and Conference Centre opened in 2005.
The Elizabethan Manor House is the base for our courses and the ruins of the Abbey in its riverside setting provide a perfect location for our photographic forays and provide ample material for our one-day workshops.